Sunday, November 27, 2005

Sick Humor

A comedian jokes about 9/11:

For comedian Sarah Silverman, Sept. 11, 2001, the worst day in this country’s history, could be twisted into a business coup for American Airlines.

If only the company would use her suggested slogan: “American Airlines: First Through the Towers.”

After all, 9-11 was “devastating” for the New Hampshire-born comic. But not because of the murders of the 2,986 people who died that terrible day.

In the movie “Sarah Silverman: Jesus is Magic” the 34-year-old jokester quips in the big-screen version of her one-woman show that it was doubly tragic “because it happened to be the exact same day I found out that a soy chai latte was, like, 900 calories.”


Does that make you laugh? I confess, sometimes sick humor does make me laugh, but these jokes leave me cold. I guess I still can't laugh at 2,986 people being incinerated.

It's not that the jokes are "insensitive." I don't care who the hell gets offended by a joke. It's more the values represented by these jokes. If 9/11 is something to be laughed at, then it's insignificant. It's not important.

This is just a hunch, but I'll bet that the overwhelming majority of people who laugh at these jokes are liberals. Yes, they think it's tragic that so many people died, but they don't quite understand what the big deal is. It was just a crime, not an act of war. To liberals, 9/11 is something to mourn, but nothing to get angry about. I have even heard a liberal say, "We just have to get used to living with terrorism the way the Israelis are used to it." That's the attitude that would lead to joking about 9/11.

I don't want to get used to living with terrorism. And I don't want to laugh at 9/11.

(HT: Free Republic)

No comments: