Wednesday, December 28, 2005

More Moral Hysteria

John Hawkins of Right Wing News has a post on Democrat hatred of black Republicans that must be read to be believed. Ted Hayes runs a homeless shelter for 35 people in Los Angeles called Dome Village. He writes,

I am the founder and director of a unique, progressive homeless facility in downtown Los Angeles, known as the Dome Village. Yet the 35 men, women and children and their pets who call the Dome Village home are being "evicted" from privately owned property after 12-and-a-half years -- apparently on account of my political beliefs and activities. You see, though I am a leading homeless activist, I am also a conservative Republican and a strong supporter of President Bush.

Here's how the situation played out. Recently, I was invited to address a local Republican Women's Club; my landlord read an article in the local paper reporting on the event. Soon after, I received a notice raising the Dome Village rent from $2,500 a month to $18,330. Shocked, I inquired as to the seriousness of the change and the property owner blurted out that the cause of our "eviction" was "because you are Republican." He said that as a Democrat, he was tired of helping me and the Dome Village. In other words, let the homeless be damned.

And people think the Democrats are the party of compassion and tolerance.

Hayes is careful to write that the landlord has the right to do what he wants with his property. That’s not his point; it is the hatred he suffers from liberals just because he is a Republican. It is astonishing. I cannot imagine a Republican reacting with such emotional intensity to a tenant being a Democrat.

No comments: