Thursday, January 25, 2007

Brief Notes

1. Via Right Wing News I found this leftist screed against Christmas. Here’s a taste:

American Capitalism is a malignancy that permeates our economic, social, and political systems and institutions. This untreated cancer ravaging the body of civilization is spreading like an unchecked conflagration in a munitions factory. Feudalism didn’t die; it simply evolved. Corporatism, Consumerism, wage slavery, debt slavery, free trade agreements, deregulation, and privatization condemn most of the global population to varying degrees of slavery, serfdom or indentured servitude.
Isn’t it amazing how leftists can go through life getting everything exactly wrong? They think a free market leads to “varying degrees of slavery, serfdom or indentured servitude,” so they want the state to take control and tell everyone what to do at the point of a gun and that would be freedom.

2. Mike Bahr has a fascinating post about a job interview that turned into a coaching session. Networking can pay off big down the road, so as he notes, both parties stand to benefit from this encounter.

3. If I ran a classical repertory theatre company, maybe I would schedule the following season:

Prometheus Bound by Aeschylus
Philoctetes by Sophocles
The Phoenissae by Euripides
Plutus by Aristophanes
Perikeiromene by Menander
Pseudolus by Plautus
Paphnutius by Roswitha
Pericles by Shakespeare
The Poetaster by Ben Jonson
Philaster by Beaumont and Fletcher
Perkin Warbeck by John Ford
Polyeucte by Corneille
Phaedra by Racine
Psyche by Moliere
Pandora by Goethe
Penthesilea by Heinrich von Kleist
Peer Gynt by Henrik Ibsen
Platonov by Anton Chekhov
Paracelsus by Arthur Schnitzler
Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw

I would call it “the season of strange names that start with P.” And I am certain these plays would drag tired businessmen away from “American Idol” for an entertaining night at the theatre.

4. I love ABBA. "Dancing Queen," "SOS," "I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do," "Waterloo," and "Take A Chance On Me" are all fabulous songs.

I'm straight.

2 comments:

Toiler said...

"I'm straight." And fabulous!

Seriously, back in their day, who didn't like ABBA?

I still do. Take a Chance on Me always gets me going, and Dancing Queen. (Yeah, yeah, yeah, watch the snide comments.)
:-)

EdMcGon said...

I have to agree with you about ABBA. They are infectious.