Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Mt. Rockmore

A Classic Rock station in St. Louis, K-Hits 96, has an amusing promotion, Mt. Rockmore. Listeners vote on the station web site for the four rock artists who should be carved into stone like Mt. Rushmore.

What four artists would you say rise above the rest?

I would go with:

Elvis Presley

Chuck Berry

Jimi Hendrix

Bob Dylan

Those four are the innovators who were more influential than the rest. If I were to pick my personal favorite four, it would be:

John Lennon

Jimi Hendrix

Jimmy Page

Neil Young

If I could add a fifth, I'd put Alvin Lee, but that is a very idiosyncratic pick that only a guitarist would make. Sixth? Probably David Bowie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My choices would be Frank Zappa, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Aretha Franklin, and James Brown.

Billy Beck said...

Eddie Van Halen. "The most important guitarist since Hendrix." (FZ)

If we only have room for four faces on the mountain, then I think you got 'em, Myrhaf. If there were room for one more, I'd have to go with Zappa.

Thomas Rowland said...

You Got it.

But for my own taste, Zappa always surprises me, since most of his rep seems to be based on innovation for its own sake.

Such are horse races.

But the top four? Right on.